Wednesday, July 11, 2007

sardoodledom

Sardoodledom was one of the words in the spelling bee competition that is going on in Washington. One of the 11 year old contestants received the word sardoodledom, which means a melodramatic plot. After he composed himself from laughing over the word, he asked the questions that he needed to ask in order to try and spell it and he succeeded.

Has anyone ever watched the national spelling bee? I was flipping through channels one day and I saw that it was on and I was just astonished as to how well these children do in front of so many people. It draws you in and you can't help but watch them and react when they spell the words. If you have never watched it, I suggest that you do.

This reminds me of the movie Akeelah and the Bee. This movie was based on a true story. I thought that movie was great. The process in which these children go through in order to take part in these spelling bees is so impressive. Here is a link to find out more about the movie.

Akeelah and the Bee - movie

5 comments:

Gwinyeo Kwak said...

I've watched National Bee on TV. This is my favorite program. I like your idea using that in the classroom. This is cool.

Vincent said...

I have seen that movie and I also recommend that people watch it.

I would happily watch the national spelling competition had I known it was on! What channel broadcast it?

Nancy said...

Michelle,
i too enjoy watching the National spelling Bee. it amazes me because I am such a terrible speller. Have you seen the movie about the National Crossword Championship? It is called word play. It makes a rather munddane topic come to life.
Nancy

Janet said...

Some students really enjoy these type of competitions in the classroom and others don't. I wonder how much competition we should introduce into the classroom.

Anne said...

Michelle,
I have not seen that movie, but I have watched the National Spelling Bee Competition on tv. It's amazing to see how much kids know!